Latest posts by Thijs Maas (see all)
- Insights From Lawyers: Blockchain at Berkely’s Legal Panel - December 26, 2017
- SEC Chief Suggests ICO’s Are Securities - November 10, 2017
- SEC Issues Warning About Celebrity Endorsing of ICO’s - November 2, 2017
Last week, Blockchain at Berkely, a student organization dedicated to the promotion of blockchain research, organized a major blockchain conference. One panel in particular drew my attention. You guessed it: it’s the legal blockchain panel.
The legal panel was led by Laura Shin, host of the Unchained podcast (check it out!). A number of the more prominent lawyers in the space attended to talk about legal aspects of initial coin offerings.
Although I would have liked to see some more actual discussion, the panel does provide some insights into the legal challenges of the space.
Topics explored by the legal panel include:
- whether the American securities framework is the right way to go about the compliance of token sales,
- what constitutes ‘utility’,
- the SAFT and its influence on the legal scene,
- considerations around incorporation structures, and
- general best practices for entrepreneurs.